Am I Sexist?
By Hank Silverberg

I have spent a good deal of time over the last two years analyzing political candidates, including their successes and flaws, and I’ve written about some of that. But this week, writing about it on social media, produced an attack I didn’t expect.

The discussion was about why Elizabeth Warren’s campaign never took off, and why despite some popular proposals, she is now out of the race for President.

I basically believe Ms. Warren came across a bit arrogant to the average voter, that her “plans” that she was constantly talking about, were too far left for most voters and that her speaking style was more like a lecture than a speech. She also failed to put together a successful ground campaign. Warren didn’t have enough people working local districts and individual states hard enough to make up ground, and concentrated much of her efforts on the national debates and TV ads.

I was posting on a friend’s Facebook page and some of his female friends who I don’t know and don’t know me, seemed offended. They said my comments were sexist. I replied that gender had nothing to do with my analysis, which I had done on other candidates for months. Warren rubbed me the wrong way. I said I see the same arrogance and preachy style in Bernie Sanders too, but he had a better ground game which stretched back to  his 2016 campaign.  

My preferred candidate, as I have written about before, was Senator Amy Klobachar, and I was upset when she pulled out of the race. I supported her because I thought she brought practical politics to the race with some good ideas—not just because she has a "Y" chromosome.

I have been married to the same woman for 38 years, and I raised two daughters. I have encouraged them all to be who they are, to never let gender get in the way, and I have helped them when they have asked for help. They are all intelligent, independent women.

Yet for criticizing Warren, using the same criteria and language as I did with all other candidates, I was being labeled a sexist. (There was a harsher word which I care not to repeat.)

I suggest that it was those criticizing my critique who had the double standard for women. That somehow Warren should not be criticized or analyzed like male candidates, simply because she is a woman. 

Here are some examples of why that is wrong:

When I ridiculed Bernie Sanders for making some very stupid comments on Castro and Venezuela, nobody called me anti-Semitic. And I'm not.  

When I noted that Mayor Pete seemed inexperienced and was “not ready for prime time,” nobody accused me of being homophobic, and I'm not. 

And early in the campaign when I criticized Corey Booker for not disassociating himself from anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan, nobody called me a racist. And I'm not. 

So why is my criticism of Warren called sexist?

Yes, I may be wrong in my critique and you may disagree with all of my analysis, but putting a “sexist” label or any other label on it is just wrong.

I’m a big boy. I can take criticism, but let’s keep it fair and not disingenuous. 

Every political candidate should be scrutinized the same way. Do they have the temperament for the job and a clear grasp of the issues?  How will they function in a crisis? Can they inspire people? Are they honest and trustworthy?  Gender is irrelevant in that scrutiny.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/warrens-future-uncertain-after-loss-in-home-state-of-massachusetts/


Bottom line, are there people who didn’t vote for Warren, Klobachar or Harris just because they are women? Yes. But was that what killed their campaigns? Absolutely not.    
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn’t jump on those Facebook posters who theorized that Warren lost just because she is a woman.  I gave solid reasons for my assessment. All this makes me wonder if Donald Trump has divided the country more than I thought.  

Other things:
Have you run out and stocked up on things like hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes and face masks? Those items are now gone from many store shelves. People are panicking even more and stocking up on toilet paper and bottled water. Frankly, you’d be better off just not shaking hands, washing with soap and water, and not going to work sick.

If it makes you feel better to stock up, go right ahead. But the facemasks don’t prevent the virus, and every one you buy takes one away from health care professionals who desperately need them.  I would suggest though, that getting an extra supply of your medications, which may include ingredients from overseas, is a better tactic.

What irks me the most about all the Covid-19 pandemic reaction though, are the scammers who post items like face masks for purchase on line at five times what they paid for them.

(Bare shelves where the hand sanitizer usually is at a Wegman'
s in Fredericksburg,VA)
Price gouging is illegal in most states. Going after these sleazeballs should be just as much a priority as developing a vaccine for Covid-19. Those who take advantage of other people in  an emergency like the virus outbreak or the tornadoes in Tennessee, are the scum of the earth.  They are right down there with funeral directors who try to convince a grieving family to buy a more expensive coffin than the one the deceased pre-ordered.

I was going to write more about all this, but I have no time. I have to go wash my hands and then run to the store for toilet paper.

         (Your comments and suggestions are welcome) 



(Copies of my book are available on line at Amazon.com, BN.com or directly from me with signature at reduced price by emailing me at hanksilverberg@gmail.com for instructions)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *