Those Who Forget The Past                               #185

By Hank Silverberg 


My blog is a bit late this week, and I apologize for that. After 185 weeks of commentary and thoughts, I missed a deadline. 

But maybe that's a good thing. I have been a bit angry about an experience I had in a local antique store last week, and I needed a bit of time to calm down before writing about it.   

(One of my display cases)
My hobby is collecting political campaign items like buttons, pins, posters and such. I have done it since high school and have a modest collection of seven display cases in my home office. Many of them I collected from various campaigns or events I covered as a reporter. Some of them were gifts from friends and family, and one I actually got off the late Congressman Mo Udall's lapel. He gave it to me on a campaign stop in Connecticut back in 1976 when he had a brief run for the presidency.    

I also purchased a large number of these items, and many of them were bought at flea markets or antique stores. 

I was in a place called "Antiques and Collectables" in downtown Fredericksburg, Virginia, a quiet historical town near where I live. I had been in the store a dozen times before and I have purchased a few buttons there. 

Here is why I am still a bit angry.

I entered that store with my brother-in-law who was visiting. He was looking for gemstones for his hobby. 

As I walked in, the first display case by the main counter in front of the store contained two large red pennants with the Nazi swastika in the middle.  I stopped, looked, got angry and walked to the back of the store. Then I turned around when I saw the store owner come back to the counter. 

The exchange went something like this: 

Me: I want you to know that I am very offended that you are selling these items (pointing at the pennants) for profit.

Him:  It's history.

Me: It is history, which is why they belong in a museum with an in-context description and not for sale for profit. You're making money on the graves of 20 million people systematically murdered by the Nazis. 

(That number includes, Jews, Poles, Russians, Slavs, Roma, the mentally ill and German political prisoners.)       

Him: "I have no opinion on that."  

Me, getting angry: I am a regular customer. I am not coming in any more. And I will tell all my friends not to come in as well if you don't remove them from the display.  

Him, laughing: "I don't care." 

I didn't swear, because it's not my nature, but I gave him a very nasty look and said something like, "you're despicable."

Him: "Get out of my store."

I walked toward the back of the store intending to cool off a bit and try again. 

He then announced to the other two people in the store, including my brother-in- law, that he was closing the store. He asked everyone to leave. 

We left. 

He followed me out. I turned and said, "I should tell you I am Jewish, and those pennants were very offensive. You should not be selling them."   

Him: "I don't  care."   

Now, I know World War Two items are collectable I have encountered items and people like this before. But his total indifference to a customer and his cavalier attitude about the Holocaust was indeed despicable. 

In context, I should have known this guy was pretty ignorant the minute I saw him, because he also was not wearing a mask. 

Here in Virginia, where Covid -19 cases are again climbing, the guidance on wearing masks once again includes retail establishments. It's not mandated, but it is suggested for all indoor locations, and most stores in the region are complying.  All three of the customers in the store, including me, were wearing masks. 

I want it very clear. Fredericksburg is a great city. I enjoy going downtown to eat and shop. I would suggest though, that someone on the Chamber of Commerce give this guy a nudge since he is smearing the whole community with his action and indifference to human suffering. I will not step foot in that store again, though I am curious to see if he removed the Nazi paraphernalia.  

 Ageism 

There is one form of discrimination that continues to be ignored and rarely mentioned in the media. Racism, as disgusting as it is, gets plenty of attention these days. Anti-Semitism, as my writing above indicates, is as alive as ever and needs more attention, and any woman will tell you about their personal experiences with sexism. 

But there is little mention of  a form of   

discrimination that eventually affects everyone. AGEISM. The link below highlights the problem in Canada, but it's just as prevalent in the United States. 

Ageism may be rampant in Canadian workplaces, but career experts say the tide is turning - The Globe and Mail


Many companies just turn their backs on workers over 55. You may have heard some of the baseless reasons for this discrimination. The older workers usually have higher salaries and cutting them can help the bottom line. They often need retraining on new technology and their demands from the company health care plan are much higher than much younger workers. 

But some companies who have made that mistake may be regretting it. They have lost more than they have gained. Experience, corporate memory, company loyalty and decades of good work ethics is worth more than the bean counters think. 

Right now because of the pandemic, there are workforce shortages across the country.  Many Baby Boomers forced to leave their  jobs would love to fill those vacancies. Some of them who are braving the job market are being advised to keep their college graduation date off their resume in the hope that employers won't catch onto their age right away, and look at their experience first. If you are hiring, take note. There is a lot of experienced talent out there.  


Boebert in Trouble?

I have no dumbest quote of the week for this edition. But one of those people who has made the list several times has some big trouble now. 

Colorado Republican Congresswoman Lauren Boebert is under investigation by the Federal Election Commission for apparent personal use of thousands of dollars in campaign funds. 

Lauren Boebert questioned over personal use of campaign funds (cnbc.com)


The FEC is looking at $6,000 worth of Venmo payments from her current 2022 re-election fund  that were used between May and June for personal expenses. Boebert's spokesman has told CNBC that it was an accounting error and that the money was reimbursed. But Boebert is also being investigated for over $20,000 worth of questionable mileage reimbursements from her 2020 campaign. This is not a minor issue. Former Republican  Congressman Duncan Hunter was convicted and sentenced to a year in prison for similar misuse of campaign funds until former President Trump pardoned him. 

      (Your suggestions and comments are welcome.) 

Copies of my latest book "The Campaign" can be purchased at the links below. Or you can buy a copy by emailing me at: 

HankSilverberg@gmail.com  

for instructions on how to get a copy at a reduced price and with a signature)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084Q7K6M5/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *